Toasted Coconut Brownies with Orange Cream-Cheese Frosting
- 2/3 cup Arrowhead Mills® Organic Enriched Unbleached White Flour, sifted
- ½ tsp Hain® Featherweight Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Hain® Sea Salt
- ¼ cup SunSpire™ Chocolate Baking Chips, either bittersweet or semi-sweet
- 2 oz SunSpire™ Organic Fair Trade 100% Cacao Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, chopped
- 1¼ sticks unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups Hain® Turbinado Sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup Hain® Organic Powdered Sugar, sifted
- ¼ stick butter, softened
- 1½ tsp orange peel, finely grated
- ½ cup toasted flaked coconut
These rich, fudgy chocolate brownies are irresistible! Moist, dense chocolate, layered with a silky orange cream-cheese frosting and topped with toasted coconut, they're sure to become your hallmark recipe.
Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Coat a 13x9x2 inch metal pan with cooking spray, and set aside.
In a small bowl, blend the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine both types of chocolate and the unsalted butter, stirring until melted and smooth.
Cool slightly, and whisk in sugar, vanilla and eggs, continuing to whisk until glossy and smooth, about 1 minute. Fold in flour mixture, and pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in center of the oven for about 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
While brownies are baking, prepare the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, softened butter and orange peel, mixing until light and fluffy.
Spread the cream cheese frosting evenly over the cooled brownies, and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Cut into 15 squares and serve at room temperature.
Variation: Substitute ½ cup toasted pistachios for the ½ cup of coconut to make a delectable pistachio brownie recipe.