Fair Trade Certified™
When you see the Fair Trade Certified label on a SunSpire™ product, it’s a guarantee that it was produced and traded in accord with strict international Fair Trade standards, including the use of sustainable farming practices.
Fair Trade principles help hard working cocoa growers to have better lives by guaranteeing that they work in favorable conditions and are paid equitable prices for their products. In short, Fair Trade Certified means high-quality products, developed in ways that are better for you, better for farmers, and better for our planet.
- Fair PricingA fair price is exchanged for products, and an additional premium is paid for certified organic products. This ensures that hard working farmers can feed their families and send their children to school instead of requiring them to work in the fields.
- Fair Labor ConditionsWorkers on Fair Trade farms enjoy freedom of association, safe working conditions and living wages. Forced child labor is strictly prohibited.
- Direct TradeImporters purchase from Fair Trade producer groups as directly as possible, eliminating unnecessary middlemen and enabling farmers to develop the business capacity to compete in the global marketplace.
- Quality ProductsSince they receive a fair price, Fair Trade producers can use traditional farming methods that result in exceptional products, instead of resorting to cost-cutting practices that sacrifice quality.
- Care for the EnvironmentFair Trade certification guarantees that farmers use eco-friendly practices, which yield responsibly grown products that are not only healthier for both farmers and consumers, but that also help to preserve our planet's valuable ecosystems for future generations.
- Community ImpactThe economic stability provided by Fair Trade enables farming cooperatives in developing countries to invest in better lives, through initiatives such as establishing medical teams in rural communities, sending local kids to college and making the transition to using certified organic production methods.
SunSpire proudly markets a growing assortment of Fair Trade Certified products, which promote sustainable farming methods and ensure that cocoa growers in developing nations enjoy fair labor conditions and trading practices. These include SunSpire™ Certified Organic Fair Trade Chocolate Chips, which were introduced in 2006, heralding the first Fair Trade Certified chocolate baking chips in the marketplace, and our SunSpire™ Certified Organic Fair Trade Baking Bar, which was launched in Spring 2010, marking the first Fair Trade Certified chocolate baking bar available.
SunSpire is deeply committed to the principals of Fair Trade, and we plan to continue to unveil more Fair Trade Certified products in the future.